613.521.8844 x 101
Art is a computer engineering graduate, lawyer, a patent agent and a trademark agent. Since 2014, he has been ranked as a leading patent practitioner in Canada in the IAMPATENT1000 publication – the most prestigious ranking for IP professionals. In 2020, Art was appointed to the Ontario Research Fund Advisory Board.
A founding partner of the firm, he assists clients ranging from multinational corporations to high-tech startup companies to lone inventors. Specializing in the drafting and prosecution of patent applications worldwide, he also provides advice regarding portfolio management and worldwide patent filing strategies. In addition to this, he also provides expertise on Intellectual property mining and licensing strategies, especially for pre-IPO startup companies.
Involved in the Canadian startup community since the late 90s, he has helped past and present clients in growing their patent portfolios. While some past clients have been swallowed up by larger companies, others have continued to prosper and grow in the vibrant Ottawa startup community. A frequent speaker and participant at startup-oriented gatherings, Art is regularly consulted by startup companies and entrepreneurs prior to launching new ventures or prior to the initiation of new avenues of research and development. As such, he is usually involved in activities such as invention mining, freedom to operate searches, and even in the defining of business strategies for his clients. Quite a number of his clients are offshoots of university research centers or are startups derived from university-originated research.
In the past, Art has spoken at Nanjing University in China on worldwide patent filing strategies for startups. As well, he has been on a panel in Chicago discussing US, EPO, and Canadian patent practice regarding hi-tech inventions.
With many years of experience in dealing with a widespread associate international practice, as well as in dealing with inventors and in-house counsel, Art is well placed to handle most IP matters.
His technical specializations include software/Internet-based technologies, artificial intelligence and machine learning, wireless technologies, telecommunications, computer and networking and related systems, optics/electro-optic communication systems, cryptography/encryption based technologies, semiconductors and business method systems.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- B.Eng. (Computer), McMaster University
- LL.B. (Law), University of New Brunswick
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent
- Registered U.S. Patent Agent
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent
- Barrister & Solicitor (Ontario)
- Notary Public (Ontario)
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Board Member – Ontario Researcher Fund Advisory Board (2020 – )
- Board Reviewer – Lead To Win (Business Development Program for Entrepreneurs) – Ottawa, Ontario (2011 – )
- IP Faculty – Lead To Win (Business Development Program for Entrepreneurs) – Ottawa, Ontario (2011 – )
- IP Law Lecturer – Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario (2012 – )
- IP Law Lecture: “Business Aspects of Intellectual Property”, Lead To Win, Ottawa, Ontario (2012 – )
- LSUC CPD Seminar “Review of Critical Case Law in Patents and Trademarks” – September 2011
Raffoul, N. and Brion, A. 2011. Reasons for Patent Protection and Cost-Effective Patent Filing Options for SMEs. Technology Innovation Management Review. December 2011: 29-33.